Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chicago: Part two

Thanks for stopping by for the rest of the story. If you missed Part one of the trip, you can view the post here.

After a early night in, we woke up to the race day: Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon.
Pre-race via the iPhone.

I did not feel nearly prepared enough for my first 1/2 marathon! But I tried to stay positive & reassure myself in the days prior to the race. My first real sense of nervous panic came while standing in my Corral waiting for kick off! It makes my stomach hurt thinking about it!

But actually, the race went great! Could I have prepared more? yes. But with what I had to work with at the time and it being my first 1/2 marathon, I felt great!

For those of you who run races, I don't know if you have felt the same way, but it was very emotional for me. I think that came from a combination of a huge sense of pride, accomplishment, and pure wearing down of my body for 13.1 miles! Because at about mile 11.5 or 12, I looked up, saw the finish line & started to cry!

Not the tear jerking kind, but more of getting choked up & teary-eyed. A mix of elation that I was almost finished & exhaustion!

With that being said, I averaged about 10 minute miles; finishing in 2:13 and was pleased with my time! :)
My mom & I post-race. Freezing & exhausted!

I was so sore after the race, and the next couple days following. I have never walked so slow!

But since we still had so much city to see, and thought it might be good for us to walk that afternoon to loosen up our legs, we hit the town :)

First up Millennium/Wrigley Park to see the bean and the fountains!
Dirty bean!


Next we went to the Art Institute of Chicago.
One of the highlights of the museum were the staircases with the colorful lit words, reminded me of the Light Bright! 
Do you remember those?!

The last day we went to the top of the John Hancock Observatory! What an amazing view!
If you look hard enough in the distance, just at the edge of the large green patch towards the top of the picture, you can see Wrigley Field. 
One thing we didn't get to do, but definitely on the top of the list for next trip! :)

And last but not least (and another fabulous recommendation from you!)
We went to Sugar Bliss for a delicious cupcake!

Chicago was a blast! The run was a success! And spending time with my mom was unforgetable!

Thank you again for all your fabulous recommendations! You helped make our trip very memorable :)

24 comments:

navy and orange said...

so glad the run went well! the cupcakes look amazing.

xoxo navy & orange
navyandorange.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Woo! I'm so glad you enjoyed Chicago! You did all the right things. Next time you're there, go to Wrigley or a Bulls game (it is the house that Jordan built, afterall) and check out the MCA. It's off MIchigan Ave and it is a truly amazing contemporary art museum. Also, the Museum of Science & Industry is pretty rad. I LOVE sugar bliss cupcakes! Last, Congrats on the marathon!!

Sharstin said...

way to go girly!! and i have always wanted to visit chicago! looks like a blast~

amy grace said...

I love Chicago! (only been twice, though). Thanks for stopping by my blog - sorry it took two weeks to visit and say thanks + hi!

Tiffany Kadani said...

I have always wanted to go to Chicago. Fabulous photos! You and your mom are gorgeous!

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

Congrats on the great run!! I've never been to chicago, but it is on my list. I love the bean sculpture. You are your mom are precious!

Kim @ keller-creative said...

I love Chicago! Last time I was there I went to the same cupcake place :)

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Congrats! That's so awesome! I totally love Chicago. Your pictures are great :)

Sam W. said...

great time on your first half!! love all the pics :)

Sam @ fitness food & faith

Stephanie said...

I totally relate to the emotions you felt running the race. It was amazing, had me nervous, made me smile, and made me cry, too! So happy you had a great time here! We'll have you back whenever you want! :)

Kristen said...

Chicago looks like so much fun! I will definitely have to add it to my Bucket List, just look at the cupcakes, how can I resist!

natasha {schue love} said...

Love the big silver bean! And those cupcakes look amaaaaaaazing!!!

trishie said...

Congrats on the run!

The bean looks amazing.

gabrielle said...

congrats, that is such an awesome accomplishment. i just started seriously running and defied my own expectations in a 5k last month. nothing beats accomplishing a new feat and the pride that comes with it. keep up the awesome work!

xxoo
www.paperplanesandmaryjanes.com

erica said...

Looks like lots of fun! I absolutely love chicago. Those cupcakes look delish!

xo

sherri lynn said...

Congratulations on an excellent time! That's so awesome! And I love all that you did in Chicago! Those steps definitely remind me of Lite Brite (Loved that thing!) and those views from the observatory were amazing! And I need a cupcake right about now :)

Nikki said...

I am so impressed. I don't think I could do it. I hope your hotel had a hot tub!

{The Perfect Palette} said...

congrats on the run! Looks like a great time was had in Chicago :) Drooling over those yummy looking cupcakes.

xoxo, chrissy
The Perfect Palette

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I'm completely impressed with your 1/2 marathon...I've yet to actually pull the trigger on one...I have to admit I'm a little scared! (c: You did awesome! Congrats! And I have to say the lighted stairs and cupcakes would've definitely been my highlights (c: What a great trip!

J+S said...

I am so impressed with the 1/2 marathon. Good for you. And totally drooling over Sugar Bliss. Have a great weekend.

~Jenifer

Danielle Moss said...

So glad you had fun! And way to go with the 1/2 marathon! Isn't chicago the best? Love living here!

Becca {A Blonde's Logic} said...

I cried a few tears after I passed the finish line of my first one so I totally know what you mean! Great job!! That is a fabulous time :) And I love those pictures of Chicago! I want to go ever more now!

Becca
http://blondeslogic.blogspot.com

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

SO jealous! I've never been to Chicago and I'm dying to visit!

www.StarHughes.com said...

WOW!!! I am so impressed with your time! That is amazing and I totally would cry in that situation too :). Glad you got some sightseeing in too!!! Those are amazing pictures and make me want to go back to Chicago sooo badly! I need a Bean picture! :)