Friday, April 29, 2011

newbies

I'm not sure how many of you were up for the big wedding last night/early this morning... I was not one of them. I am well rested and perfectly happy just looking at a couple of the pics from the event. My overall thoughts:

• Great dress-Classic and elegant
• Holy hats!
• Tasteful first smooch...
But the best part is the little girl in the photo! haha That is the same reaction I have to all this hype!

Moving on...

I have picked a couple fabulous recipes to conjure up this weekend. I hope I can make them taste as good as they look- because I'm pretty freaking excited for some brand new eats! For breaky, the bird and I have chosen 1 (of many!) delicious looking buckwheat bakes from The Edible Perspective. Her blog is awesome! Tons of good recipes and house tips, which is a major plus since the bird and I are in the market! :)
Her food always looks so good... how could I not want to make this myself?!

Oatmeal Pumpkin Bake [serves 1]
  • 1/3c rolled oats
  • 1/4c pumpkin
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 flax egg
  • 1T chia seeds
  • 1/4t baking powder
  • 3T unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2T vanilla extract
  • 1t cinnamon
  • 1/4t ginger
  • pinch of nutmeg/cloves/all spice
  • 2T nuts [optional]
  1. Preheat oven to 350*
  2. Whisk flax egg together and set aside for ~3-5min.
  3. In a small bowl mash banana until egg-like.
  4. Mix in almond milk, pumpkin, + vanilla with a fork.
  5. Mix in rolled oats, spices, baking powder, and chia seeds.
  6. Mix in flax egg.
  7. Lightly grease a small oven-safe dish, add mixture, smooth, and bake for 30 minutes. [I used a personal size soup crock ~2” deep by 5” diameter]
Cant wait!

Next newbie... Dinner.

The next delicious meal-to-be comes from another one of my favorites: Fit Foodie Finds. She has a fantastic blog with a lot of great healthy options and delicious looking recipes. The one we will attempt to concur this weekend is Salmon Bean Burgies: (yes, burgies... I love it!)
Salmon Bean Burgies
  • Makes 4 hockey puck sized patties: serves 2
  • 3/4C garbanzo beans, canned
  • 1/4C cooked quinoa
  • 4 oz. steamed salmon
  • 1T egg whites
  • spices: garlic salt, cumin
Directions: In a medium sized bowl, mash together all ingredients. You may need to add a bit more egg white depending on how well your mixture is holding together. Separate mixture into 4 patties, packing each one together in the palm of your hands. Next, heat ~1/2T olive oil on medium heat in a medium sized sauce pan and saute you patties for about 2 minutes per side.

Looks so good... even the bird, who is a little less ecstatic than I am about healthy new recipes, gave the go ahead! I will let you know how they both turned out! Have a fabulous weekend!

3 comments:

The Bird said...

I can't wait to try these! They look SOOOO good! I guess it doesn't help that I'm starving right now...

Fresh Out of Lemons said...

Whoa! That's a super-food burger! I'm always looked for quinoa recipes. :)

Leslie
www.freshoutoflemons.com

the late afternoon said...

i totally agree with you on the royal wedding - great dress and those hats! your salmon burger looks delicious and a great alternative to the regular burger!

http://www.thelateafternoon.com